Thursday, August 26, 2010

08.24 - Random & Rodents

 


Well...I am getting behind on blogging! It hasn't helped that the past couple days have been pretty "normal" around here. I don't have many pictures, and nothing too exciting to report.

Tuesday was Daniel's first day back in class. He had a morning class, and then I got to meet him for lunch. I headed back to the house to work and Daniel went back to school. I picked up some groceries and finally figured out where I could buy mousetraps. I worked, then Daniel came home and talked me into going to Hyde Park for dinner. We wanted to revisit the Serpentine cafe and sit out by the pond while the sun set. When we got there, we determined that it was far too windy and cold to eat outside, but we were able to get a table near the windows inside, so that was almost as good! The Serpentine Cafe is my favorite place to hang out so far! It's really cozy inside, and on a nice day, it's very relaxing and gorgeous outside. I love being near the water. We shared a pizza, and it didn't occur to me to take a picture while it was still looking good. I know the photo I got isn't really appetizing, but the pizza really was delicious! After we ate, we just sat and talked and soaked in the atmosphere. It was great!

When we finally decided to head home, we opted for a trip on the Tube, since the walk was pretty far. Note to self: don't ever leave Oyster cards (discounted Tube pre-paid cards) at home. Neither of us had our Oyster cards, because we had planned to walk. This is okay, because you can still just buy a paper ticket, but the Tube is really expensive! We only traveled in one zone, just 4 stops or so, and the cost was $6 per ticket!! Even with the Oyster card it's not much better! Second note to self: Just walk.

I feel like there's been a theme running through the last few days here, and it's not a theme I appreciate. The theme is: RODENTS. I've now seen 2 different mice in our house (one dark brown, one gray), and I can only imagine that there must be hundreds more who are too smart to come out when I'm sitting on the couch. We've set the traps I mentioned above, but for 2 days, the mice have eluded us. Last night we added some Nutella for bait...what mouse could resist Nutella??? I have heard that peanut butter is the best bait, so I'll probably be out purchasing some peanut butter later today. I know the stores stock it here...I've actually been wanting to buy some anyway, so I can eat peanut butter and black current jam sandwiches! Anyway, back to the rodent theme - when we were walking in Hyde Park just after dark, heading for the tube, we saw 2 gigantic rats. Those guys were terrifying!! I don't think I want to hang out in Hyde Park after dark ever again. Generally, it's probably not a wise decision anyway. I was surprised at how quickly it emptied of people. I guess they all know about the rats.

Notice the return of the coffee pictures in the photos with this post. I took a picture of the HP bottle, because it is Daniel's fill-in barbeque sauce here, and that's important. And, if you're wondering why I have the pictures of the coke cans...I am wondering too. :) Not really! I took the coke can picture to document the fact that Daniel always gets Diet Coke and I always get regular Coke, and there's always a little guilt that goes with it. But I don't like Diet Coke or aspartame...I'm sure regular Coke is actually much healthier.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Diet coke is nasty.

And didn't you get the memo? British mice eat Nutella, not peanut butter.

Mmm. Nutella.

rachel said...

Funny you should mention Nutella...that's all we had in the house the first night we set the traps, so that's what we used. Now we are enticing them with a Nutella/peanut butter combo. They aren't interested. Maybe British mice really like swiss cheese...

Carol said...

Maybe they are pet mice and they never leave!! :) I'm so enjoying following your life in London. Serpentine looks like the kind of place I would love as well.